Friday, March 9, 2018

Following in the Footsteps of Aunt Lois

Aunt Lois on her trip to England, 1966

After my Yorkshire ancestors came to America in the early 1800s, I believe the first generation to return to England was my great aunt Lois. We luckily have her travel journals, which my cousin has used to retrace Aunt Lois's steps from her travels in the 1960s. The following excerpt gives an account of arriving in Whitby, North Yorkshire, one of the places we will hopefully go on our trip this spring. Aunt Lois notes the weather of the day, mentions meeting some other travelers, visiting an old homestead (perhaps), and having a very filling lunch at The Smugglers. I wonder if that restaurant is still in Whitby? (quick Google search says yes it is!) At the top of her travel log entry she writes, "Roger is 51 today." Roger is my dear Grandad, her little brother. Glad to see he makes an appearance in the  journal. I'm not sure he ever made it to England, but perhaps during World War II.


No comments:

Post a Comment