Monday, March 12, 2018

How strong are my Yorkshire ties?


As far as I know, my Yorkshire (specifically North Yorkshire) heritage is from my dad's side of the family. His grandfather Bayard Taylor had parents that were first generation Americans, and their parents were all from North Yorkshire.


My 3rd great-grandparents that immigrated to the United States in the early 1800s arrived in their childhood or early adulthood from these North Yorkshire towns:

  • John Taylor (1800-1879) from Whitby, arrived in U.S. 1830
  • Ellis Lockwood (1799-1834) from Skelton-in-Cleveland, arrived in U.S. 1830

  • Thomas Smith (1803-1863) from Thirsk, arrived in U.S. arrived in U.S. circa 1818
  • Jane Collier (1807-1901) - Fruyup Dale (in the North York Moors), arrived in U.S. 1819

These four people all immigrated to Dearborn County, Indiana, along with many other families from North Yorkshire. The area they settled, along Tanners Creek, would later come to be known as the village of Guilford. John and Ellis (Lockwood) Taylor married in North Yorkshire before coming to the U.S, while Thomas and Jane (Collier) Smith married in the U.S. It is likely that the families of these two couples knew each other, as most of them were involved in the new movement of Methodism co-founded by John Wesley. We believe that these early Methodists immigrated to the U.S. seeking religious freedom from the Church of England and opportunities in land ownership and farming. I have also heard that the geography in Dearborn County was compared to that of North Yorkshire, hilly and green with both forests and fields. I can't wait to see for myself and compare when I get there.

So, how strong are my ties to Yorkshire? A couple of years ago, a product known as Ancestry DNA was widely marketed and it offered to help answer my question. So, my husband got me a kit for Christmas and it came back: 
  •  Great Britain 37%
  •  Ireland/Scotland/Wales 16%
  •  Europe West 16%
  •  Scandinavia 9%
  •  Europe South 8%
  •  Iberian Peninsula 8%

Okay, so the science matches the genealogy research. I should add, a significant portion of my mother's ancestry is also from England, but her family immigrated to the Virginia Colony in the 1630s, so it's harder to trace their region. All in all, I would say the ties to Yorkshire are fairly strong. And why am I so curious to know if I have significant ties to a certain country or region? I guess that's part of the reason I'm blogging about this experience, to figure out why genealogy and visiting the old sod is so important to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment